EMPORIA, Kan. – Emporia State (20-12, 14-7) did what no team has been able to do all year, get to Anthony Castaneda early in an 11-3 win over Griffon Baseball (14-15, 11-10) on Saturday.
The Griffons led 3-1 after an inning and a half, but a four-hit, five-run second inning put the Hornets up for good.
- Castaneda dropped his second straight decision, allowing eight runs – six earned – on eight hits over 5 2/3. The eight runs allowed were four less than Castaneda had allowed through is first eight starts of the season.
- Dusty Stroup extended his hot streak, going 4-for-4 at the plate to give the senior 12 hits in his last four games
- The Griffons scored two runs on an error in the second to give MWSU a 3-1 lead
- ESU answered with five runs in the bottom of the second
- MWSU was charged with four errors in the game, the most for the team since Feb. 8 at Henderson State
- Emporia State took the three-game series two games to one
- The Griffons return home to host Northwest Missouri State in a three game series beginning on Friday.
— MWSU Athletics —