|ST. JOSEPH –
The Missouri Western women’s basketball team (3-5, 0-1 MIAA) dropped its first MIAA conference game 74-60 to defending MIAA Tournament Champion Lindenwood (6-1, 1-1 MIAA) on Thursday. Lindenwood outscored the Griffons in the first three quarters to spoil the Griffons’ home opener.
- The Griffons had their best shooting quarter in the first quarter, making 41 percent of their shots. Missouri Western also went 2-4 on three point attempts in the first.
- The Lions jumped out to a 15-point lead with under two minutes remaining in the second half. Kylee Williams cut the deficit to 10 on a fast break three, but Lindenwood responded with a three of their own, giving the Lions the 43-30 lead at the break.
- A Jessica Davies layup cut the lead back to 10 with 7:43 left in the third. It was the closest Griffons would get, as the lead remained at double-digits for the rest of the game.
- Lindenwood shot an impressive 57 percent from the field, the best by a Missouri Western opponent this season.
- The Lions were lights out from three, making 10 three’s on 53 percent shooting.
- The Griffons shot 37 percent from the field.
- Missouri Western forced 20 Lindenwood turnovers in the loss.
- Davies was the Griffons’ leading scorer with 12 points
- Williams and Katrina Roenfeldt both added 11 points each.
- Davies also led the team with five rebounds.
- Griffon Women’s Basketball will host Lincoln (7-0, 1-0 MIAA) on Saturday Dec. 8.
- The Blue Tigers defeated Northwest Missouri 69-66 on Thursday.
- The Blue Tigers have already won more games this season than they did all of last season.
— MWSU Athletics —